[thelist] domain self-hosting

the head lemur headlemur at qwest.net
Fri May 4 10:51:26 CDT 2001

Me too!

I connect a lot of my clients with high speed access. the telcos like to
enable your connection as DHCP or as a dynamic connection rather than a
static IP.
AT&T, Sprint and the other broadband providers are reluctant to provide
folks static IP's  for this very reason. with DHCP they control the
connection, not you.

You have to yell scream and whine to get them, but they are out there.

I unfortunately live in a black hole in phoenix, so i am unable to test this
at home. (too far from the CO for copper, No fibre termination in the cable
box, i cannot see the broadcast tower for microwave.) but over the coming
months one of my clients will be stepping up as they have static IP's and I
will be checking this very thing out.

But as soon as I get a Pipe you can bet your life I will be hosting and will
never ever have to deal with someone else's idea of tech support.