[thelist] domain self-hosting

Robin Hastings robin at rhastings.net
Fri May 4 11:43:52 CDT 2001

> I'm interesting in hosting my domains from my home
> computer, instead of paying someone somewhere else to
> host it. I know this is possible, but I'm not really
> sure of the specifics of what I need to do. I've read
> up on BIND some, and don't really know where to start.
> If someone knows of some articles to help me get
> started it would be great. The hosting computer would
> be running redhat 7.0 and apache, and I have a cable
> modem through AT&T. One problem I suspect is that they
> won't let me have a static IP address. I've tried to
> talk to AT&T about it, but they aren't very helpful.
> Hopefully someone out there has done this before and
> can help me, or point me towards something.
>
> Thanks,
> Sarah

Sarah,

 I'm also using AT&T Cable and needed a static IP to get into my library's
intranet. What I did was go to Start, then Run, type in command. This brings
up a DOS command box - from that prompt type in ipconfig and you should get
a listing of your subnet, gateway and IP addresses. Write them down. type in
exit and leave the command window.
Right-click on network neighborhood and choose properties, choose the
Protocols tab, select TCP-IP, then click on the properties button. Change
the radio button from DHCP to Static and enter in the info you had written
down.
If you do this wrong, you will probably end up not being able to access the
internet at all!

On a side note, the way AT&T does the IP thing is that you get the same IP
all of the time, it's just dynamically allocated. My problem actually ended
up being that they configured my computer to go through a proxy (hence I was
giving out a "not allowed" IP address to the Intranet and not getting in).
Anybody know how to get rid of the proxy script in IE 5.5?

Robin Hastings
Webmistress - InterTec Designs
robin at intertecdesigns.com
http://www.intertecdesigns.com