[thelist] Linux startup problem

Tobyn Baugher trb at cartoonviolence.net
Fri May 4 19:51:33 CDT 2001

On Fri, 4 May 2001, Andrew Forsberg wrote:

> >How can I get it to start silently? I copied the mysql.server file
> >to the /etc/rc.d/init.d/ directory and linked it to the
> >rc3.d/S99mysql and to rc0.d S0mysql files.
>
> I'm sure someone will have a better solution, but you might want to
> try using a smaller number for the filename of the MySQL alias in the
> rc3 directory. I think the default is 99? The lower the number, the
> earlier it is loaded...

Aye, that'll get rid of silly output in your login: line.

If you wanna get rid of MySQL console output completely, get your
favorite text editor (vim :P) and edit your MySQL init.d script
(probably something like /etc/rc.d/init.d/mysql, though I don't use
RedHat, so I can't be sure).  Find the line that resembles

bin/safe_mysqld --user=mysql
(That's what invokes MySQL on my Slackware box, yours will probably be
somewhat different)

and add "1>/dev/null 2>&1" to the end of the line (sans quotes) giving
you something like

bin/safe_mysqld --user=mysql 1>/dev/null 2>&1

This will redirect both stdout and stderr to /dev/null (bitbucket) and
stop MySQL from cluttering up your screen with silly status messages :P.

Of course, I don't take any responsibility if you do this wrong and your
stuff doesn't work. Doing it right is up to you :).

Regards,
Toby

--
Tobyn "trb" Baugher <trb at cartoonviolence.net>