[thelist] Apache Redirect Question and 302

deke web at master.gen.in.us
Fri May 4 23:40:33 CDT 2001

On 4 May 2001, at 17:24, Pat Meeks posted a message which said:

> I want the search engines to index the new URL and start dropping the old
> URL. I just read a message about using a 302 that sounded like that's what I
> wanted, so I asked the hosting service about it. The site is on an Apache
> server. Here is their response:

> "I have it setup as a RedirectPermanent which is basically a
> carbon copy of a 302.  If you want me to I can change it, but I don't know
> if it'll work as well with the redirecting of every page."

> To get the robots to index the new URL and drop the old, what should I ask
> him to do? Will this RedirectPermanent do the same thing?

The hosting service is doing it right.
You don't want to do anything different.

A 302 is a TEMPORARY redirect, and the search engine spiders will
*not* usually update your URLs for a 302. That's up to the search
engine, of course.

A RedirectPermanent gives a 301 status - and search engines should
update their URLs for a 301.  It may take 60-90 days for all the search
engines to spider your site and catch on to the change, though, and
you can't do much to speed them up.

But your question is a reasonable one to ask.

<tip type="server configuration">
You can find information on Redirect, RedirectMatch,
RedirectPermanent, RedirectTemporary and other
run-time configuration directives that can be used in
httpd.conf and .htaccess at
   www.apache.org/manual/mod/directives.html

It hasn't got much of a plot and character development
is weak, but it actually is quite interesting to read.
</tip>

deke