[thelist] Online Schedule of Appointments?

deke web at master.gen.in.us
Sat May 5 16:50:27 CDT 2001

On 5 May 2001, at 17:20, Gina K. Anderson posted a message which said:

> Now, they use a computer to hold all the appointment data at *each* location.
> That's all I know right now--I don't know if it's in a database, they use a
> special software, or even if the data is hooked up to a server or what. I'm
> pretty sure that each location has no record or access to the other locations
> appointment data, however I don't think it would be needed since it is rare for
> an employee of one location to have an appointment scheduled by the other three
> locations.

You need to *replace* the current appointment systems with the new
appointment system, not *augment* it, or you will never keep the data
in synch. The only time you need to worry about how data is currently
stored is when you move from the old systems to the new system -
and you can do that by hand if necessary, since it's a one-time deal.

> We just kind of threw it in the air one day, and I want to be ready to discuss
> it if/when it gets serious. I'm just trying to get a general gist of how this
> could be accomplished.

It's pretty simple to figure out *most* of the system. You set up a
separate calendar for each service technician *or* for each service
vehicle, depending on which is the scarce resource.  You keep a
file for each office showing which technicians/vehicles they should
be able to access.

Like programming any other database application, it's like unloading
5 semi loads of pillows - there's no *heavy* lifting, but there is still a
freight to move.

The hard part is going to be customers setting appointments. How
do you know that it's really the L&K restaurant asking for someone
to shampoo their carpets after closing Wednesday night, rather than
some kid playing a prank?

No matter what you do, I think they are going to want to telephone
the customer to thank them and to confirm the appointment. Not a
bad idea in any case; people *like* to know that their business is
wanted and appreciated. But you need to state this requirement
openly. Customers don't like surprises.

deke