[thelist] Why is NS6 DHTML so SLOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWW?!

Andrew Forsberg andrew at thepander.co.nz
Sun May 6 02:22:54 CDT 2001

>>It does support a new version of javascript, however, doesn't it?
>
>A new DOM. As to the JavaScript version numbers, personally I don't
>believe they're important.
>
>For an overview of new stuff in Netscape 6, see
>http://www.xs4all.nl/~ppk/js/index.html?version5.html

Now that page *is* interesting. Thank you.

I don't know about how the rest of the list feel about extensively
using the various implementations of the DOM (or lack of
implementation), but personally I've nearly given up, and use server
side programming wherever possible to provide services.

Javascript on its own, on the other hand, seems fairly safe -- has
anyone found anything particularly useful or interesting in v 1.3?

>>Netscape 6 won't die, it'll just morph into a whole raft of other
>>browsers via Mozilla. At least, that's my gut feeling given the open
>>source nature of mozilla.
>
>Yes, that could happen (and I hope it does). But I agree Netscape 6
>is not very good at the moment.
>
>ppk

It really does suck that a good, fast rendering engine (gecko) is
lumped inside a bloated, sluggish browser. But this is old territory
and I don't think anyone really wants to revisit that, so I'll
<duck/> and plead mercy.

--
Andrew Forsberg
http://www.thepander.co.nz/