[thelist] flash detection

Erik Mattheis gozz at gozz.com
Sun May 6 17:59:09 CDT 2001

The way some of you talk, one would think you could walk into the
marketing department of BMW, Disney ... wherever ... and tell them
that they're wrong for using Flash. And do you think such places
haven't done studies that have shown a measurable benefit from using
Flash instead of straight HTML? Do you think they'd still be using
Flash otherwise? Why are some of you afraid to look outside of your
fascinating web safe color command-line world? It's not too scarry,
I'm sure.

I get lots of use out of this list, and attempt to give back
something ... most of what I have to offer regards Flash ... it
pisses me off that lately the F word can't be mentioned without
someone thinking of something critical to say.

At 7:17 PM +0100 5/4/01, Martin wrote:
>Lack of stylesheets doesn't prevent you accessing the content/services.
>The worst you'll get is lack of surface prettiness.
>
>>(or stylesheets ENABLED on a Mac).
>
>bullshit. Only causes problems when developers don't think beyond
>Win/IE

You're right, stylesheets were a bad example ... but my point is that
nomatter what the reason ... some sites do not support a few visitors
unless they want to jump through some sort of hoop - and there's no
way anyone can say it's OK to not support visitors without component
X but it's not OK to support visitors without component. So why don't
people here bitch and moan about JavaScript 1.1 or PDFs?

If your goal is to reach as many people as possible, doing it with a
website is a stupid idea in the first place ... er wait, sorry, I
forget - most public libraries offer Internet access.

>  >Flash has been shipping with the major browsers for like ... years.
>>It's up to developers to force their audience to use reasonably
>>current technology.
>
>Erik - you've just debarred yourself from any work for a commercial
>client. The job of a developer is to help the client achieve their
>business objectives.

?!?!? No more work ... damn ....? er, maybe oh, GOD ... maybe I've
never dopne any work to begin with! ... is, is, is this whole thing
about me thinking I'm a Flash developer some sort of coping
mechanism? Maybe I haven't worked in years and all this is a
delusion? Maybe I'm in the loony bin explaining to the orderlies how
their screen resolution is larger than most people's!

Thanks for the advice, but I'd say I'd be out of line if I decided I
was going to help a client better "achieve their business objectives"
by telling them to scrap the Flash idea after they've been referred
to me as someone who does Flash work. Last time I checked there were
plenty other individuals and design firms that squeek by doing little
other than Flash.

At 11:42 AM -0500 5/4/01, Ben Dyer wrote:
>My, that's pig-headed.
>
>It's our jobs as developers to be at least somewhat accomodating,
>even if that means more work.  The problem I have is that most
>developers think that our users owe us something.  Why don't they
>upgrade?, well they must just be morons or Luddites.  We'll force
>them to upgrade, that'll show 'em.

You've got it backwards ... the reason for requiring Flash is to
deliver the user a higher quality experience.

Add to your list of Morons and Luddites: "People's who's Network
Admin enforces a policy against changing the standard configuration"
and "Stubborn developers who are so bland they disable it" and you've
pretty much covered the Internet users I usually don't give a hoot
about past telling them they need something they don't have. Well, I
do wish the "stubborn" group would give in ... they'd be better
developers with a bigger tool chest.

At 5:03 PM -0400 5/4/01, deke wrote:
>Hey, do what you want. It's a lot of time and money building
>traffic, and if you want to tell users to go fubar themselves,
>I'm sure that webmasters with sites that compete with yours
>will applaud your decision.

I wasn't aware I was competing with anyone, but do I sense an
impending challenge of some sort? That would be fun. I can't think of
any creative taunts.

I do love you goons. I am confident that if we spend a little bit of
time each week on this therapy through confrontation, you'll on the
road to health in no time.

--
- Erik Mattheis

"Everything's better"