[thelist] SSI on NT, Printer-Friendly Pages

aardvark roselli at earthlink.net
Mon May 7 22:15:09 CDT 2001

> From: "Amy Gilliland" <agilliland at geosolutions.com>
[...]
> I was trying to use conditional server side includes in an html page.
> I wasn't using asp or VBScript. The pages had the .htm extention not
> .asp

conditional SSIs isn't quite what you think... you can't do it that
way, you have to understand that all includes get inserted *before*
any script is parsed, meaning everything gets included, no matter if
you didn't want it to... so you have wrap those in good ol' chunks of
IF/THEN (or CASE, or whatever)...

> I guess this is not possible with IIS 4.0.?

well, it's possible in an .htm page, but you'd better tell the server to
parse all .htm pages for server-side script...

> I think I follow what you are saying if you thought that I was using
> pages with the .asp extention.

which i assumed you were... and if you paste my code in with your
variables, and rename it .asp, you should see what i mean...

> I ended up using asp in the end to rewrite the html page but the
> includes aren't parsed because it's all done on the client side(I
> think) so you end up with a page with a clean page to print.
>
> I got the script from
> http://www.4guysfromrolla.com/webtech/080600-1.shtml

yech, needlessly complex...

but no, no ASP is ever parsed on the client, it's *all* server-side...