Telecommuting (was Re: [thelist] Currently Freelancer - Becoming Employee?

Tamara Abbey Abbey at abbeyink.com
Mon May 7 23:01:19 CDT 2001

At 11:06 PM 5/7/2001 -0400, you wrote:
>well, as a small business owner, i find hiring an employee who will
>never come to work a not-too-appetizing venture... how can i train
>you?  how can i check your work in progress, instead of the more
>expensive post-production QA?  how can i learn your strengths and
>weaknesses?  how can i schedule you into staff meetings?  check
>your daily progress?  keep you up-to-date on traffic?  how can i be
>sure you aren't screwing me by working on other things or handing
>my clients' sensitive data around, or keeping it unsecured on a
>machine stuck on a cable modem?  how do i distribute software
>updates and patches (which i would do, i would not allow you to
>purchase it and deduct it, we have someone to do that)?  how
>would i ensure you use version control?  or follow our process?
>how would i ensure you are responsive to email and phone calls?

Aardvark poses some very interesting questions that given the prevalence of
e-mail, teleconferencing, etc., I find surprising.

My husband recently had a change in his job description and he now works
from home (ack! maybe it's time I went and found a job outside the home!).
He does go to the corporate office on occasion, but primarily, he goes to
work at 8 a.m. every day -- just on the other side of the door. And, when
he comes home from work, he's home. It works for him since there are fewer
distractions -- a 4-year-old can be /easier/ to control than some
co-workers -- seriously!

I know aardvark's taking a very hard line here to make a point, but under
what circumstances would some of you consider a telecommuter?

Under what circumstances would a part-time telecommute/pat-time in-house be
acceptable?

Would you rather never see that person's face?

Why?

I'm curious as to what some of your thoughts and policies are.

Thanks,
<tamara />