[thelist] Currently Freelancer - Becoming Employee?

deke web at master.gen.in.us
Mon May 7 23:16:14 CDT 2001

On 7 May 2001, at 23:06, aardvark posted a message which said:
> or, consider the 'tax reasons'... make sure your accountant is
> giving you good advice... 'tax reasons' is way too vague, especially
> for an employer to hear as the logic... it also implies that you
> consider the job temporary...

Sounds like there were some business expenses that need to be
depreciated. Computers, for instance, can be given away at three
years, and you have to pay to get them hauled off at four years,
but the IRS insists that you depreciate them over five years.

What you *can* do is to sell the depreciable assets. That means
you can immediately deduct the difference between book value
and what the assets sold for.

The sale needs to be "arm's length" in order to qualify for tax
purposes.  But if it's not, the IRS can only nail you for the
difference between the asserted sale price and the real market
value of the assets.  If you sell business assets to your brother-
in-law at fair market price and then buy them back five minutes
later, that's going to be satisfactory for most any IRS auditor.

If you've been fooling around with the auditor's daughter, and
he wants to nail your hide to the wall, ain't *nothing* you do that
is going to make him happy. But most IRS auditors don't want
to screw you over, if you're honest. He wants to get the audit
over as quickly as possible, so he can move on to someone
to a *real* tax cheat.

deke