[thelist] .htaccess files on evolt member areas (fwd)

Bob Davis bobd at members.evolt.org
Tue May 8 14:11:44 CDT 2001

On Tuesday, May 8, 2001, at 02:58 PM, Daniel J. Cody wrote:

> I would like to use .htaccess files on my evolt member area.
> I assume filenames such as .foo are native to the unix environment, but
> evolt members don't have command line access to our accounts.  So i
> create
> such files on windows 2000... which is fine using a text editor such as
> textpad.  But i run into problems when i upload my files to the server
> (wsftp)... they seem to transfer fine, but i can't see them in my
> account
> after they've transferred.  I *know* (i think) the file's there, because
> when i write a shiet .htaccess file, i get a 500 internal server
> error...
> any thoughts?

You may have to (depending on the ftp program you use) enable
viewing "." files. Most times, there are little files in a *nix system
that tell different applications information. They are configuration
files, in a sense, for a user as opposed to a configuration file for the
whole system (Unix being a multi-user system, it makes sense that one
user says tomato, and the other says tomahto, dig?)

Look for the option to view files whose names start with a '.', or look
through command line ftp.  It's there, but your application is being
"helpful" by hiding some of those little files that aren't changed all
that often.

bob

--
bob davis