[thelist] .htaccess files on evolt member areas (fwd)

webmaster at menouno.com webmaster at menouno.com
Tue May 8 14:45:45 CDT 2001

On 8 May 2001, at 15:11, Bob Davis wrote about
Re: [thelist] .htaccess files on evolt member are:

> > I would like to use .htaccess files on my evolt member area.
>> [...]
>> But i run into problems when i upload my
> > files to the server (wsftp)... they seem to transfer fine, but i
> > can't see them in my account after they've transferred.  I *know* (i
> > think) the file's there, because when i write a shiet .htaccess
> > file, i get a 500 internal server error... any thoughts?

> You may have to (depending on the ftp program you use) enable
> viewing "." files.

I think that something else is producing this. I messed up a website
some time ago trying to do the same thing.

I often work with .htaccess files on several websites using WSftp, no
problem. But one time - on a site running on Apache/1.3.12·(Unix) - I
got exactly Bob's result: file disappears, website stuck with an
internal server error. I had to wait for support to get in there and
kill the *invisible* file. But they couldn't explain the problem,
they just said that the file was visible on their side.....

Ideas anyone? Could it be a configuration issue?

ciao

Massimo