[thelist] RE: strange log entries

found at warmonger.net found at warmonger.net
Thu May 10 08:21:21 CDT 2001

On May 10 03:31, Ryan Finley <RyanF at SonicFoundry.com> wrote:
[...]
> Keep up with those patches...

I've never seen anything like this in my UNIX server's logs... until today.

I'm more upset about the stupidity of the attack than about someone trying to worm into my server.  I'm used to my friends trying to slip in, but these two attempts came from strange IPs.  Plus, none of my friends are both so stupid and lazy as to not check what a web server's OS is before probing for openings.

That's why I like UNIX for web servers; I don't have to do patchwork with every morning's cup of coffee.

Now it's time for a  <tip type="Search Engine Fun" author="incommunicado">Google is ok when it comes to expiring broken links out of their search engine database.  This doesn't apply to broken links contained in their USENET archive.  For fun and extra traffic, check your logs for broken links coming from groups.google.com and redirect them to new content or to your search page. </tip>