[thelist] Weather Channel

Joshua OIson joshua at alphashop.net
Thu May 10 10:26:36 CDT 2001

A couple of questions need to be answered before an answer can be found.
Namely, how much information do you want?  Just the local temperature,
weather plus atmospheric conditions, Doppler maps, 5 day forecast, road
conditions, sever weather warnings, flu warnings??  The complexity of the
system will be dictated by what the employer wants to deliver.

If they want all of the above, your best bet is to link directly to the
users zip code info, in the form of:

http://www.weather.com/weather/local/30909

Put it in a popup window, or frame (eck!), or something.  The costs to
implement something along the same lines as what's already available is
substantial.

Would your employer be willing to just link to weather.com?  If you work for
a rather major firm, then you may be able to get advertising money for
making the link.

Sorry that I don't have a definitive answer for you, but there are a lot of
issues on which your employer needs to elaborate before you can even start
coming up with a timeline/cost estimate for this.

-joshua