[thelist] deleted file after redesign

Tamara Abbey Abbey at abbeyink.com
Fri May 11 17:00:12 CDT 2001

At 11:24 AM 5/11/2001 -0400, you wrote:
>I have seen sites that designed a 404 page that was just their index page
>.... what do you think of that? Confusing to the user, or gentle way to
>avoid the annoying 404 message?

In sheer desperation, I am guilty of doing just that. The number of 404s
suddenly spiked on a site and we needed to at least keep visitors on-site.

That phony *index* page bought me time. I discovered the problem, rectified
it to the best of my ability and within the client's budget (i.e., it's not
/really/ fixed as far as I'm concerned).

As a viewer, I would not like to try and go to info.html and land right
back where I started. So, I'm glad I could do it, hated needing it, and
hopefully learned something so it won't happen again.

Just my .02

<tamara />