[thelist] SQL: rename column/field

rudy r937 at interlog.com
Sat May 12 12:31:10 CDT 2001

> I need to rename a column/field in an Access db (from ColdFusion).

hi jon

if anthony is right and you are letting users submit a drop column
operation, you are in trouble

> The field names are actually in ascending order (like XXXX_1,
> XXXX_2, XXXX_3, etc.). Now if someone drops column field2,
> I need the field3 and field4 columns to be renamed to field2 and
> field 3, respectively.

not on the fly, you don't

i'd like to know a little more about what you are trying to accomplish with
your database, and maybe come up with a suggetion for your table design,
because there should not be any reason to rename fields on the fly

once or twice during development, sure, but not after it's live

<tip>
i'll say this for it, microsoft access is one of those nice databases where
you can actually download the database file off the server, update it on
your desktop, and upload it back to the server -- now, admittedly, this
will clobber any online updates that took place after you first downloaded
it, but if the site isn't live yet, this is definitely the way to go
</tip>

rudy.ca