[thelist] Getting New Business

Erik Mattheis gozz at gozz.com
Sat May 12 23:38:57 CDT 2001

At 6:39 PM -0700 5/12/01, sfmalo wrote:
>Think the competition is fierce,
>both for virtual assistants and for web designers.

[...]

>Think the competition is fierce,
>both for virtual assistants and for web designers.

I'm not an expert at going out there and finding work ... but maybe
for the reason that you don't have to put much effort into it if you
position yourself correctly: the independents I know that have
"enough" new business either specialize in one thing, or do one type
of website - say food service, plastics, or something.

Defining your market is super important no matter what or how
intensely you're marketing. Once you do that, the next thing to do
becomes a lot clearer and you'll give potential clients a compelling
reason to contact/use you - because you do what they need.

Also, in the situation of an independent's website I think it's
important to be at least a little vague in a way that makes people
want to find out more ... personally, I groan when I find out a
person can do everything from make a resume to analyze an Oracle
view, and oh yeah, I'm also a high-end audio consultant and I've
fixed several garage doors. Posting to developer lists at 11:30 on a
Saturday night gives a clearer indication that you're some kind of
inhuman freak, anyway.

--

- Erik Mattheis

"For best results, pronounce muh THEIGH ess."

(612) 827 3963