[thelist] Perl/Database question

Marty Landman marty at face2interface.com
Mon May 14 07:54:49 CDT 2001

At Monday 5/14/01 11:57 AM, CDitty wrote:

>I know that I can connect to a Mysql database by adding a special mod file
>to the perl libraries. (Something like that.).  Is it possible to connect
>to an Oracle database using Perl?

Yes, using Perl's database interface module, or Perl::DBI. There's an
article on http://www.perl.com/pub/1999/10/DBI.html which seems to have a
thorough introduction to this, and specifically talks about Oracle.

One of the nice things about Perl's DBI module is that the methods, i.e.
functions are pretty much vendor independent. Which means you can write an
application using DBI and Oracle and then if for some reason you switched
vendors from Oracle to Sybase or DB2 or Mysql you'd have a minimum of
changes to make within the program.

>I have a small job that I need to do in CF, but since CF doesn't do
>functions, I think it might be easier to do it in perl.

Like anything else, I think that learning DBI and applying it the first
time will have a learning curve. Good luck and let us know if you need any
tips.

Marty

Face 2 Interface Web Solutions
Content Management Made SIMPL(tm)