[thelist] table widths (was: css - can you put comments in there?)

rudy r937 at interlog.com
Tue May 15 11:00:29 CDT 2001

> All browsers, though, interpret a width=100%  as meaning the
> total width of the containing block. The only exception to this rule
> I found was when I defined a width: 100% for a nested DIV and
> IE4 Mac thought I wanted it to be as wide as the page.

as the guy who started this off with a tip not to mix styles with
percentage table widths, let me just say that there are some pc browsers
that do it too

it's easy enough to verify -- just create a div with some padding and
margin, and put a width=100% table inside it...   voilà, instant horizontal
scrollbar

not that i remember which browser, though (it might've been opera 5.11 or
mozilla 0.9) because i promptly discard anything that doesn't work the same
in all the browsers that i test in...

... and lately, i'm getting quite annoyed with netscape 4

rudy