[thelist] Evolt Web Design Directory

Simon Coggins ppxsjc1 at unix.ccc.nottingham.ac.uk
Tue May 15 13:05:00 CDT 2001

Alan Mccoy wrote:
> Are logged-in users able to post URL
> suggestions right on the site, or does it have to be done via email?

Currently anyone can submit links and categories - just click on "suggest
a link" or "suggest a category" at the bottom of the relevant
category. The links aren't added straight away though. I have an admin
section where I can approve, edit and delete links and categories. You
just can't beat the human touch!

Jonathon Isaac Swiderski wrote:
> two things, though:
> 1.  when going deeper into subdirectories, could the "subcategories" box
> stay there & expand to show the structure?  having it disappear like
> that (esp. in the modern skin) is kinda disconcerting. . .

I agree that would be great, but I have a feeling it would be a headache
to implement (I'm still pretty new to PHP). Also that's kind of what the
breadcrumbs trail is for. I'll think about it and see if I can come up
with a better approach.

> 2.   when switching between skins, could it stay at the same place in
> the directory, rather than dropping all the way back to the top page?

This is definitely possible, and a good idea. I'll see what I can do.

sales at iibiz.com wrote:
> Oh, and I'd love to hear debate on this if people feel differently, but
> personally, if it's a link outside my site, I make it open up a new
> browser. As a user, I LIKE this, because sometimes you end up linking
> your way thru several sites and forget that at the original source there
> was more you wanted to check out.  I end up stumbling across it again
> when I'm shutting down browsers, which otherwise I wouldn't have.

The way I see this, if you want a new window you can always shift-click,
but if you don't, you don't have to put up with them. I'm hoping to offer
more customisation at some point in the future, so I guess this could be
one of the options.

Simon