[thelist] Mac X PC

Morbus Iff morbus at disobey.com
Wed May 16 12:35:17 CDT 2001

 >The biggest difference I can think of is font sizes in using CSS.  12 point
 >seems to be a lot smaller on the Mac than on the PC.  And Arial isn't all

Quite true - which is why you'd want to use pixels and not points, even
though w3c recommends against. 12px on a Mac is the same as on Windows, and
so forth. I just CSS'd gamegrene.com with this in mind...

 >   - Colors are usually slightly brighter and more vibrant on the Mac.

True - this is related to the Mac's gamma settings, which are corrected,
whilst a PC is uncorrected gamma. You'll notice this primarily with dark
images. The Mac does allow uncorrected gamma in the Monitors and Sounds
control panel though...

 >- Some XHTML documents screw up in Mac IE 5 but not all.  I haven't
 >really tracked this problem down.

Really? I've not seen this. I've been transitioning my site pretty steadily
over to XHTML - including gamegrene.com (as mentioned) and disobey.com.
What problems were you seeing.

 >   - Avoid Java, it rarely works correctly on the Mac.

Avoid Java entirely <g>...

Morbus Iff
.sig on other machine.
http://www.disobey.com/