[thelist] RE: IIS 5: Is it Bad to Map .css to asp.dll?

James Aylard webmaster at equilon-mrc.com
Thu May 17 13:57:36 CDT 2001

Andy Waite wrote:

> I just rename my CSS file so that the extension is .css.asp. I should
> probably also be setting the ContentType but it seems to work without
doing
> that.

    Actually, I have experimented with simply linking to a CSS file with a
.asp extension before, and both IE and Netscape seemed happy with it. It
just seems less elegant somehow. :) And you're probably right about setting
the ContentType, but like you, I didn't find it to be a problem.

> The downfall is that if you have an error in your ASP within the CSS file,
> you won't see the error, only your page without the styles applied.

    Good point. Not a fatal flaw, IMO, but a valid concern. Something to
keep in mind if I were to actually implement this in production. Of course,
part of QC would be to view the rendered style sheet to see what the server
might be coughing up. Thanks for the feedback.

James Aylard