[thelist] Downloading .jpg & .pdf files

JTocher janice at discoverysystems.com
Sat May 19 15:57:03 CDT 2001

Seems I remember a discussion in evolt on this before, but can't seem to
find it in my message archive.
I am designing a site that will allow the user to *download* .jpg & .pdf
files directly to their hard drive. Two questions...

Question #1 - Is there anyway in straight HTML (or with a smattering of
javascript) to download the file when the appropriate link is clicked
instead of opening it in the browser? I know the file can be 'zipped' which
will download instead of open the file - was wondering if this is the only
solution.

Question #2 - Is there any way to 'override' the default download directory
set in the browser so files downloaded from this site will go into their own
folder?

Thanks in advance for your insight!

Janice