[thelist] Shell Script Basics?

Daniel J. Cody djc at starkmedia.com
Wed May 23 09:22:52 CDT 2001

Hey Frank -

If you're using Linux, you're probably using the bash shell.. Go to the
source for that.. Lots of good info at
http://www.gnu.org/manual/bash/html_chapter/bashref_toc.html itsa  bit
dry in places, but you should do ok.

a lot of my personal scripting focuses on 3 pieces of software..
awk(gawk)(my personal favorite):
http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/linux/library/l-awk1.html
(wrap)and  http://vectorsite.tripod.com/tsawk0.html

sed: http://www.ptug.org/sed/sedfaq.htm

and grep: http://www2.linuxjournal.com/lj-issues/issue18/1149.html

those should get you started for now.. There are also a couple shell
scripting articles on the evolt site that anthony and i have written
over the years.. You may be able to grep ;) some usefull info out of
those.. And of course, you can always ask here :)

Good luck

.djc.