[thelist] OT - Front-end for MS-SQL?

Chris Johnston chris at completeimaging.com
Thu May 24 08:52:59 CDT 2001

Hello,

I have a simple little question that is a little off topic. One of the
websites that I work on is planning on changing from MS Access to MS-SQL
Server 2000 as it's database. My question is this, what is the front-end
used for MS-SQL? Access is an integrated environment in that the database
and the graphical user interface are all in the same program, is MS-SQL the
same way or is there a graphical front that gets installed on client
machines that links in with the main server? The SysAdmin guy insists that
the only front-end for MS-SQL is Access, is this correct. It just seems to
me to be a rather low end, cheap front end for such a high quality database
system.

Anyway, just wondering.

Here is my tip to validate my post.
<top type="ColdFusion">
In ColdFusion, instead of hard coding the name of the database being used by
an application in every query that you use, store it in an application
variable using the Application.cfm file. There are two advantages to
creating an application this way;

1. If you ever change the name of the database you only have to change it
once for the entire website.

2. If, for some reason, someone gets a hold of the original code of any
pages within the site, they won't see the name of the database listed in the
code and the hacker will have to work even harder to get at your data.
</tip>

Chris

www.edigitaldesign.com
Taking Your Business to the Web

[Web Design] [ColdFusion] [Database Applications] [Hosting]