[thelist] handling long drop down list

scott.brady at homeqonline.com scott.brady at homeqonline.com
Thu May 24 12:19:50 CDT 2001

Gary wrote:

> I am trying to find if there is a way to limit the width of items within a
> drop-down or select list.

I would just see how long the string you're putting into the drop-down is.  If
it's greater than a certain number (say 30), I display only the first 30
characters (followed by "..." to signify that there's more to it).

But, that may not be good in all situations.  When I've used it, it's been for
things where it was clear what the whole item was and the user didn't
necessarily need to see the entire string.

Scott