[thelist] good practice META tags?

Dave Hinton catbells at pat.mkn.co.uk
Fri May 25 02:12:11 CDT 2001

deke wrote:

> Can you name *any* circumstance in which the illegal "pragma"
> header works and these headers don't?
> <META HTTP-EQUIV="Expires" CONTENT="Thu, 01 Dec 1994 16:00:00 GMT">
> <META HTTP-EQUIV="Cache-Control" CONTENT="no-cache">

I've never noticed browsers paying any attention to Expires.  Browsers
seem to either use If-Modified-Since, or assume that since they
downloaded it five minutes ago, it must still be valid.

Cache-Control is a HTTP 1.1 thing.  No way will it work with older
browsers.

Otoh, Pragma: no-cache always seemed to work with older browsers, when
older browsers was all we had.  Whether it works with newer browsers, I
don't know.

--
  //  Dave Hinton
=()=  Web Developer, MarketNet