[thelist] FP Question

Bruce Heerssen bheerssen at visualbridge.tv
Fri May 25 10:45:59 CDT 2001

FP extensions allow the MS FrontPage editor to communicate with an IIS web
server. They allow directory level authentications for the purpose of
uploading new content. They also seem to do other things like make backups
automatically.

FrontPage is generally considered a newbie's editor.

 From http://msdn.microsoft.com/workshop/languages/fp/2000/RPC.asp:

"The FrontPage server extensions are a set of programs on a Web server that
support administering, authoring, and browsing a FrontPage Web site.

A client application [read: FrontPage 2000] communicates with the FrontPage
server extensions using the FrontPage server extensions' Client/Server
Protocol, also called the remote procedure call (RPC) protocol. This
protocol governs the exchange of information between a client and the server
extensions. This communications protocol is layered on top of the same HTTP
protocol that Web browsers use to interact with a Web server."

In my opinion, you're probably better off just sticking with ftp.

HTH
- Bruce