[thelist] NN4.7 not showing my Home page/images

sfmalo sfmalo at msn.com
Mon May 28 23:03:07 CDT 2001

Mmmmm. So you are suggesting doing away with the remote JS file altogether
and placing the full script in the body of each page?

Have to chuckle about all this as my first line of text on the Home page
says in effect, "try my services because of, among other reasons,
fast-loading pages ..." Yikes.

Another thought. Could my js script in the body for the status bar be
interfering in some way? If I decide to put the full script in the body, I
could place it first, then the status bar script would follow. Or, get rid
of the status bar script altogether?

As a note of interest, when I originally uploaded the site Saturday, I had
two applets on the home page (one an invisible counter and the other a news
ticker). Well, the fight was on! I watched the status bar as the two applets
called their respective sites and ate up valuable seconds loading before the
nav images did. I moved the news ticker to another page which helped. BUT,
still when I'm on another page and click to return to the Home page, the
counter applet ends up being called again before I'm allowed back on home.
Again, not fast navigation but I do want the counter there so guess I'm
stuck with that.

By the way, how can you read my remote JS file? I thought it was safely
tucked away in my host's root directory! Glad you are for the help you're
giving me, but how can it be?
Sharon

Keith wrote:
> Ah, but you still want a straight answere to your question, right? Well,
> we're not done. Those two if(document.write) blocks set up the array
> that the clic and mousey funtions use. And if that array does not yet
> exist when those functions are called you'll get an error. The straight
> answere: put it all in the body.
>
> The "loaded" test in the script shows good form on the part of the
> author by anticipating a misbehaved surfer clicking or mousing before
> the page has loaded. If the script is part of the page, this plays it's
> role since the functions will indeed be loaded before the page. The
> problem arises by putting the script in an external file which may load
> later than the body.
Sharon F. Malone
"web design and Internet writing services"
http://www.24caratdesign.com