[thelist] Buying A Server

Mike Roberto mjr at linkzero.com
Tue May 29 10:56:19 CDT 2001

Hey All,
	A while back I wrote in looking for opinions on shared hosting providers.
For the level of services and support we were looking for we've decided to
go
with a colocation server solution.  So we're now in the market to purchase a
server.  I've taken a pretty detailed look at HP, Dell, Gateway, Compaq,
with
Dell leading the pack as of right now.  I've had excellent luck with Dell
machines throughout my experience in IT.  We've also taken a detailed look
at
Dell's Refurbished machines, for their price its tough to pass up that level
of savings.
	I've listed some specs below for what we're looking for but I'm curious
if anyone has any advice or opinions they'd like to throw into the fray
regarding any server manufacturers, configurations, or the whole
buying/leasing
process.  We're going to be colocating this machine to better serve our
clients
and minimize the mental load of trying to deal with the pitfalls of
outsourced
hosting.  Thanks for the input.

mike.

Our Future Server:

	Windows 2000,(2)PIII 800(+/-), 512RAM(+),(2)18 Gig HDs(Raid 1),
		Redundant power supplies, Rack mount Case(2U)
	Running...  CF Server, Imail 6, SQL Server(eventually)

Michael Roberto
< LinkZero >
<e> mjr at linkzero.com
<w> www.linkzero.com