[thelist] Rollover Image Navigation and HTTPS

Simon Coggins ppxsjc1 at unix.ccc.nottingham.ac.uk
Tue May 29 11:01:59 CDT 2001

> I can't get the images to preload/cache so the rollovers are very sluggish.
> Has anyone ever worked on something like this before? Has anyone found a
> solution?

I don't know the answer to your question, but I do have another possible
solution, depending on if the rollover gifs are just plain text, and the
level of backward-compatibility required.

Recently I coded a CSS only navibar with rollovers that was designed to
mimic a javascript navigation bar. It only works in 5+ browsers, but
degrades nicely in older browsers to a simple list of links. Also it's
lightning fast (14 times smaller download in my case).

Below is a link to the page I created to convince the site designers to
use it. The images on the javascript version are broken now, but you
should get the idea:

http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/~ppxsjc1/lab/nottnavi.html

Works in IE5+, Opera 5 and Netscape 6 for Windows and Opera 5 and Netscape
6 for Linux. I haven't checked with a Mac yet - if anyone has the time I
would like to know if there are any problems!

As I said, it might not be suitable for your project, but it's a
possibility.

Regards,

Simon