[thelist] error: cgi-bin not found

Tony Grimes algrimes at acs.ucalgary.ca
Wed May 30 23:26:52 CDT 2001

Hey guys,
     Our ISP administrator has switched our web server without consulting
us and we're running into a few problems. For some reason, we get this
error whenever a script is called from within our site:

Not Found
The requested URL /cgi-bin/authoriz35.cgi was not found on this server.

Apache/1.3.19 Server at www.oursite.org Port 80

I've restored the whole site from my backup files, so I KNOW the cgi-bin
is there (it's within the htdocs folder), but the server doesn't seem to
be recognizing it. The admin who changed over the servers seems pretty
clueless and isn't trying very hard to find the problem (IMO) so it looks
like it's up to me to lead him in the right direction.

I'm not well versed in networking, but here's what I know about the issue:
- The site has been moved to a new Linux box (Redhat I think)
- Everything within the site is the same as on the old server except an
.htaccess file is missing on the new one (for the htdocs folder).
- the box is running Apache/1.3.19 (from the error message above)

The only thing I can think of is that the server is assuming some unusual
default directory outside of the htdocs folder. If anyone can help me with
this I'd really appreciate it. I'd like to get this figured out before my
boss gets to the office in the morning. TIA

.tony