[thelist] SERIOUS (no, it isn't)

aardvark roselli at earthlink.net
Thu May 31 22:20:06 CDT 2001

> From: "bradclark1" <bradclark1 at msn.com>
[...]
> Its a executable in the Win Command Dir called "Sulfnbk.exe". Just
> delete and you should be good to go. I suggest just running a Find on
> Files and Folders of your drives to be safe.

not only is it a hoax, but it's an extremely well-covered hoax...

by typing 'Sulfnbk.exe' into google, the following came up:

http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/sulfnbk.exe.warning.h
tml

anyway, please check these before posting to the list... and don't
ever delete system files just because some email told you to do
so, from a friend or not...

----------
SULFNBK.EXE Warning
Reported on: April 17, 2001
Last Updated on: May 31, 2001 at 12:49:29 PM PDT

The following hoax email has been reported in Brazil. The original
email is in Portuguese; it is followed by an English translation.

CAUTIONS:

- This particular email message is a hoax. The file that is
mentioned in the hoax, however, Sulfnbk.exe, is a Microsoft
Windows utility that is used to restore long file names, and like any
.exe file, it can be infected by a virus that targets .exe files.

- The virus/worm W32.Magistr.24876 at mm can arrive as an
attachment named Sulfnbk.exe. The Sulfnbk.exe file used by
Windows is located in the C:\Windows\Command folder. If the file
is located in any other folder, or arrives as an attachment to a
email message, then it is possible that the file is infected. In this
case, if a scan with the latest virus definitions and with NAV set to
scan all files does not detect the file as being infected, quarantine
and submit the file to SARC for analysis by following the
instructions in the document How to submit a file to SARC using
Scan and Deliver.

- If you have deleted the Sulfnbk.exe file from the
C:\Windows\Command folder and want to know how to restore the
file, see the How to restore the Sulfnbk.exe file section at the end
of this document.