[thelist] no more font tags?

rudy r937 at interlog.com
Fri Jun 1 19:54:27 CDT 2001

> any steps you make toward compliant code are, IMO, good ones
> assuming you don't leave anyone out in the cold or fail to meet the
> objectives of the site...

hi aardvark

i am not going to argue with you, i've known you too long and have
tremendous respect for your opinions and abilities

in general terms what you're saying is right

but ted was asking about <em> font tags </em> for crying out loud!!

this is one instance where i think we are safe in making the change to css

i mean, take away the font tags, and what happens? version 3 and earlier
will show the browser default font -- like, this is a usability crisis?
they get everything in black and Times New Roman and suddenly the page
doesn't work?

we are not talking about ditching tables for positioning, a complete horse
of a different kettle of wax

strip the font tags, ted, and add a style sheet

the way to bring this up with the client is to mention it in passing

   "dear client, by the way, anybody using a text browser (or a
    really early browser, like from 1996) is going to see, um, just
    plain text....   world wide stats, and i have no reason to believe
    your customers will be radically different (have you seen what
    kind of computer you can get for 800 bucks nowadays? and all
    of them come with windows and at least ie5... your customers
    do have good incomes, don't they?) say that people with text
    browsers or really really early browsers make up no more than
    2% of all visitors, and your site will still work for them too, sir
    or madam, as the case may be..."

and then maybe, if your client still insists on font support for those
folks too, send them to aardvark and let him quote on it...

rudy