[thelist] Textarea Limits

Palyne Gaenir palyne at sciencehorizon.com
Sat Jun 2 19:43:28 CDT 2001

Dear Evoltians,

The browser textarea limit on characters has stumped me.  I have a
lot of apps current and upcoming where a user (public) needs to be
able to type or paste up to, say, 90K.  OK, at least 60K if I had to
suffer a cap.  Certainly not 32K though, that is way too short.  It
turns out java could make this happen, but it requires the latest
version not found in most browsers, a 5MB download which is probably
not the way to go on a public site (though this might work for my
clients doing their content mgmt).

There has GOT to be a way, I just don't believe there isn't.
Research articles, library submissions of personal writings, it takes
more than 32K sometimes.

So I'm hoping you monsterbrains can help with this logic.  Should I
make TWO textareas, so they could 'continue', string them together on
the INSERT, and then... ah.... do a truly massive Left() function
[somehow I doubt this is practical, like, #Left(field,31900)# ] to
somehow split it on output for editing reasons?  I might get a little
formatting glitch if they didn't split it between paragraphs... What
would you suggest as a resolution for this need?

Best regards and many thanks.
Palyne