[thelist] should we just give up and buy the darn keywords/rankings?

Moe Rubenzahl moe at maxim-ic.com
Mon Jun 4 18:04:36 CDT 2001

>   http://www.nytimes.com/2001/06/04/technology/04GOTO.html

Excellent link, thank you. I recently informed our management that
they should not expect to achieve much more in the way of search
engine placement without paying for placement, for exactly this
reason. This article gives the argument good credibility.

I see three items worthy of discussion. If you're in a hurry, skip
ahead two paragraphs to the question of real importance -- whether
you should be paying for search engine placement...

First - is it "right?" Well, it certainly flies in the face of the
spirit of the web and I really dislike it when the paid placements
are not labeled as such. But it's legal and it's happening, so on to:

Point 2: Will it fly? Six months ago, I had hopes that the pay-me
model would crumble but it hasn't. It's now inexorable as even Yahoo
and Google have climbed aboard the gimme-wagon. As the pressure to
"monetize" the web increases and these strategies continue to work,
we can expect more of this from search engines.

Third, and really the most important question, is the title of this
thread: "should we just give up and buy the darn keywords/rankings?"
And the answer is: Probably.

If your site depends on people finding you via search engines, you
have to evaluate your ability to perform there. If you have a unique
offering with limited competition, (say, you sell left-handed
corkscrew polishers) you can probably do well using traditional
search engine strategies: Create good pages, submit to the engines
manually each month. You may not need to play the fee-based placement
game.

And if you are hot, the leader in your category, you may not need to
pay, as you are high in the rankings anyway. At least until your
competitors start to pay.

But if you have a diverse product line (say, you have an on-line
camping store), you have little hope of seeing your pages listed well
in all the categories you need. You had better start budgeting search
engine dollars.

And if you have a focused line but lots of competitors (say, you sell
ink jet cartridges), search engine placement fees had better be part
of your business model.

And you said you were feeling despair? Consider this: The engines are
subtly and cautiously trying to limit free submissions. Some (e.g.
Excite) are hugely slowing their response to submission requests.
Some cut them off altogether. Some are taking fees to crawl your site
or accept your submission, or to do so in timely fashion. Some (e.g.
Altavista) cut submissions off for a while and turned them back on,
with mechanisms to resist automated submissions.

The search engines are very interested in paid placements and paid
ads. They are walking a delicate line on free submissions and
spidered additions. They need to have these things but they also
don't want to make free placement easy for clients they think they
can get to pay.

So yes, I think we all need to think about the return on investment
for paid listings. Welcome to the new new economy.