[thelist] ASP Application Variables: Are They "Expensive" to Access?

James Aylard webmaster at equilon-mrc.com
Tue Jun 5 13:16:10 CDT 2001

Evolt ASP Experts:

    I'm working on an ASP application in which I use application variables
pretty heavily. If I am accessing the same application variable more than
once, does it make sense to create a variable within my ASP page and assign
the value of the application variable to it rather than repeatedly access
the application variable itself?
    In theory, if I am accessing the same application variable more than
once, it would seem more efficient to create a page-level variable and
assign the value of the application variable to it. But I can also see that,
if the application variable is a large chunk of data -- such as a
multi-dimension array -- copying that data to a page-level variable might
also be inefficient.
    If this is six of one and half dozen of the other, I won't sweat it. But
if accessing application variables is an especially "expensive" process, it
might be worth taking the extra step of creating a page-level variable. So
what say you?

James Aylard