Non-standard tagging (was: [thelist] Very nice trick to save bandwidth.)

Bill Mason data at data1701d.com
Fri Jun 8 16:05:50 CDT 2001

At 01:49 PM 6/8/01, Ryan Finley wrote:
><<
>At 12:49 PM 6/8/01, Ryan Finley wrote:
> ><noscript><meta HTTP-EQUIV="refresh" CONTENT="0;
> >url=/NeedSomething.asp?error=nojavascript"></noscript>
>
><NOSCRIPT> is not permitted in the <HEAD>, though a lot of browsers will
>let you do it anyway.
> >>

>Hey, if it works, then the "standard" is moot.  No need to get jakob. :)

Well, my personal feeling is to find solutions that work within the
standard, rather than finding ones that are hacks that I have to:

1. Spend extra time testing in all the browsers of my test suite, because
I'm hacking and I don't know really how the browser will respond.

2. Hope won't break in some fatal fashion in the future.

This is not to say I don't use hack code now and then to get something
accomplished.  But in this particular case where there is already an
accessibility/JavaScript issue being introduced into the page, I cringe at
the idea of a code hack being the accessibility fix.

Bill Mason
data at data1701d.com
Dateline: Starfleet
http://www.data1701d.com