[thelist] Search engine help; crawl page

Ron Jourard ronjourard at home.com
Sat Jun 9 16:27:33 CDT 2001

Sent: Saturday, June 09, 2001 5:24 AM
Subject: Re: [thelist] Search engine help

> On Sat, 9 Jun 2001, Martin wrote:
>
> > I can't emphasise this enough. All the well-listed pages I've had
anything
> > to do with have had no effort involved in getting them there,
other
> > than having great content, sensibly structured.
> >
> > No special meta-tags. No doorway pages other than the site's
normal
> > home page. No regular updating plan. No strategy to gain incoming
links
> > (other than being good content).
>
> Um, me too, after a fashion.  I get search queries in my logs to
which my
> first response is 'WTF' but when I consider how I built the page to
begin
> with, it stops being such a surprise.
>
> Links that might help:
>
> http://www.digital-web.com/tutorials/tutorial_2001-4.shtml
> http://hotwired.lycos.com/webmonkey/99/31/index1a.html

- the second article was updated last week:
http://hotwired.lycos.com/webmonkey/01/23/index1a.html

My question is: on a small site (circa 100 pages) does a crawl page
achieve anything more than a site map that is linked to the home page
and includes links to all the pages on the site?

Ron Jourard
Toronto
www.defencelaw.com

BTW, following up on a Very OT post a few weeks back (to which no one
responded - c'mon, there must be some other criminal lawyers lurking
on this list :>)), is anyone interested in seeing the list of non-law
related websites I recommended to criminal lawyers at a Toronto
continuing ed program this morning?