[thelist] When should you redirect? (was site redirect check)

Mark Cheng mark.cheng at ranger.com.au
Sun Jun 10 22:42:11 CDT 2001

Hi everyone,

This topic appears to be evolving into a disabilities design question, so
before it does I'd like to summarise a couple of points people have raised
so far:

1)  redirects are sometimes warranted, however when they are done they
should be done server side to avoid issues with the back button and to get
greater reliability.

2)  redirects for moved content or various form submission responses.

The question still remains -  is a redirect appropriate for sites which
don't cater for certain categories of visitors, whether browser or some
other factor is the determinant.  For example, flash only sites and text
based browsers.  Or, sites designed for Win and any Mac user.

I don't think not coding  a base font size, avoiding nested tables and
avoiding using colour to indicate incorrect information entered into a form
would cause unjustifiable hardship either.  What's your point?  Are you
suggesting that I shouldn't use event listeners because it won't be
accessible?  event listeners on the ranger site are used for effects which
sighted users expect.  It is still useable (mostly) without js (actually it
is getting more usable all the time thanks to suggestions from .jeff)

The same can't be said of the fact that I've taken the underlines off the
links and identified them with a  colour change - fine for sighted users but
not very helpful if you are colour blind.  (Now I've thought of that I'm
going to change that).

I'm not thrilled about the use of images for the nav menu either - to try
and allow for that each A tag has a title, each img has an alt and they are
the same - I thought this would help people with aural browsers understand
what was happening.  Flash nav menus must be a problem for aural browsers -
are you suggesting nobody should use those?

The internet is a global medium - I think that quoting Australian
legislation is only part of the story.  Even if the Australian legislation
is the most restrictive (ha - Australian politicians think they can ban
online gambling) isn't the issue that sites need to cater for all global
legislation - there is a possibility that the owners of a website could be
sued by anyone anywhere?  (As designers in the public sphere, how are you
allowing for that?) Are we getting to the stage where browser differences
will be the least of the worries and catering for people with disabilities -
most of which you can't test for - will be the real issue.  Will the first
page of every site effectively be a page leading to all the various
alternatives - large font, no color, which browser etc?

hmmm - I think I'd better start learning a couple of server side languages!

This email may be confidential and contain commercially sensitive information.  Only the intended recipient may access or use it.  If you are not the intended recipient please delete this email and notify us promptly.
We use virus scanning software but exclude all liability for viruses or similar in this email or any attachment.