[thelist] Downloading Files in CF

Chris Johnston chris at completeimaging.com
Tue Jun 12 12:41:03 CDT 2001

Hello,

I am trying to create an application in ColdFusion that allows user to
upload and download files. I have the upload part working fine, however
I can't get the download part to work quite as well.

Here are the requirements for the files;

1. They are currently being uploaded to a directory that is away from
the website root directory
(eventually, they will be uploaded to a separate computer.)
2. The users can upload any type of file they wish.
3. The directory/file server cannot be an ftp server for security
reasons.

The problem comes when they try to download the files. I have tried to
use cfcontent but without a proper mime type, it simply tries to save
every file as foo.htm (the name of the page calling the file). I have
tried to use an ftp server but it displays the loginid and the password
at the bottom of the browser.

Does anyone have any experience with this in ColdFusion? Is this even
possible to do, or do the files have to reside below the website root
directory or on an ftp server?

Help...

/chris

"In a hurricane even turkeys can fly"