[thelist] Downloading Files in CF

Aaron Johnson ajohnson at mindseye.com
Tue Jun 12 12:53:33 CDT 2001

Hey Chris,

> I am trying to create an application in ColdFusion that allows user to
> upload and download files. I have the upload part working fine, however
> I can't get the download part to work quite as well.
>
> Here are the requirements for the files;
>
> 1. They are currently being uploaded to a directory that is away from
> the website root directory
> (eventually, they will be uploaded to a separate computer.)
> 2. The users can upload any type of file they wish.
> 3. The directory/file server cannot be an ftp server for security
> reasons.

Matter of fact, some of us have done this..  figleaf has a great demo which
should solve your issue:

http://www.figleaf.com/demo/mimetest/

Specifically, check out the filename attribute of cfheader, which will allow
you to name the document you're letting users download.

Aaron Johnson, MCSE, MCP+I
Allaire Certified ColdFusion Developer
MINDSEYE, Inc.
<phn>617.350.0339