[thelist] Win 2K Pro vs Server

Scott Dexter sgd at ti3.com
Tue Jun 12 18:57:23 CDT 2001

> I'm just a guy that is freaking a little bit over the thought that if
> I upgrade to Win 2000, I may have to get the Server version to
> continue testing my websites locally as easy as I can now.

There are limits on the number of connections to the webserver and all that
(which it sounds like you've read some on it). I went ahead and upgraded to
Server on my workstation, though the other developers run Pro cause they're
not running local copies of IIS (they develop against either my maching or a
common development box that still runs NT4). I've got IIS, SQL 7, and
SiteServer (+Commerce) running locally, so it made sense to just run W2k
Server (and I talked my boss into the licensing). That and my maching is the
proving ground for our apps as we migrate to W2K on our production boxes
(still NT4)....

So, if you can afford it, go Server....

sgd