[thelist] client needs search engine help...

John Corry webshot at neoncowboy.com
Wed Jun 13 14:42:30 CDT 2001

I got this from one of my better clients yesterday...

>we don't rank/show up on search engines at the moment.
> Somebody was in
> and pitched me on creating an entry page for search engines with 'Top dog'
> software to get us showing up and ranked.  We pay only based on
> how we place in
> the search engines.  I am considering going that route to
> increase hits.... what
> do you think?

I can agree that they need help...but I don't really want to help them with
this...learning the intricacies of search engine placementn and patiently
tweaking code a little at at time to produce the maximum level of exposure
is not why I got into this field. I *do* feel obligated to help them with
this though, and see it as sort of my responsibility since I built and
maintain their site. All of their pages feature titles, descriptions and
keywords...so I haven't been totally derelict in duty.

I need some help.

Is this 'Top Dog' thing worth its salt? I'm afraid of giving up a little
control to a 'search engine strategist' or whatever, and losing my nice site
maintenance contract when they offer to undercut me. Do any of you work with
people providing these services that you would reccomend?

thanks,
John