[thelist] A pixel is not a pixel<yup>

Captain F.M. O'Lary ctfuzzy at canopy.net
Thu Jun 14 10:22:48 CDT 2001

At 09:54 AM 6/14/01 , you wrote:
[ . . .]
>If anyone's got an "in" with the W3C, here's what's needed:
[ . . .]
>2) A "minimum-font-size" attribute, which functions as a limit beneath
>which the user agent should ignore font sizing declarations
[ . . .]

We *almost* had one. Remember the (thoroughly depreciated) Base Font tag?
It almost seems like that could have been a perfectly good idea - if it was
different.

On a more serious note . . .

I have to concur 110% with your statement "Pixels aren't your saviour. Get
used to the idea that your wonderful
pixel-perfect beautifully-colored layout will *only* be that way on your
own screen, and start designing by rules, rather than pixels."

though it is a difficult pill to swallow, it's the honest to goodness
bottom line - if you want your stuff to work for the broadest possible
audience. I think probably the most important part of our job (as web
developers) is also one of the most ignored: Demographic Research.

Just who in the heck *is* the intended audience? You should be able to
DOCUMENT that before you ever open that ASCII text editor to begin writing
code.

It is my professional experience that if you "must" stray from ratified
code you do it only one way: Write for your specifically intended
demographics and publish it with at least two fingers crossed.

:-)
Fuzzy
<new in this town>
Captain F.M. O'Lary
webmaster at canopy.net
It's always darkest before dawn. So if you're going to steal the neighbor's
newspaper, that's the time to do it.