[thelist] SVG - who ? what ?

Denis, David DDenis at inlumen.com
Fri Jun 15 10:53:05 CDT 2001

> Both currently require browser plugin's, but the flash plugin has
> much much higher 'market' penetration.

'currently' being the key word I think.  Experiment builds of Mozilla have
SVG support rolled in.  Eventually SVG support should come as part of the
browser, being just another way to handle XML.

> In my own very limited experimentation LiveMotion created SVG files
> were massive compared Flash files of the same graphic (5 times the
> size?) - I've no idea whether that has to do with LiveMotion or the
> SVG format, or just the particular graphic I was using.

Interesting, I would think SVG output to be relatively small, consider they
are just text files.  Of course if you started embedding raster formats then
they will balloon.

> In theory future browsers will use XML/XHTML, CSS, SMIL and SVG - in

This is the ideal world.  SVG elements in XHTML pages.  All of it truly XML.
You could transform SVG to XHTML for handheld devices or cellphones so they
get the content (if there is any) rather than the animation and images.
Wicked nice.

Dave