[thelist] SVG - who ? what ?

Peter Kaulback pkaulbak at idirect.ca
Fri Jun 15 20:23:46 CDT 2001

In the wee hour of 06:15 PM 6/15/01 -0700, John Dowdell bequeathed such
tales as these:
>At 5:57 PM 6/15/1, Peter Kaulback wrote:
> > isn't SVG just a new incarnation of VRML.  If not then a buddy
> > at Platinum owes me a beer ;-)
>
>Oh, man, it's after 6pm on a Friday night, and it's over 80 degrees
>outside, and the Giants game starts in an hour, and I don't know if I'll be
>able to get my accordion practice in this evening 'cause I'm still at the
>office answering email, and meanwhile Peter will be outside drinking a cold
>beer paid for by his errant buddy over there.... ;-)
>

>You're right, SVG and VRML are very different file formats. VRML97 is an
>actual designated "Standard", being approved as such by the ISO awhile
>back. When SVG 1.0 eventually gets through the W3C approval process (it has
>been stalled for awhile now), then it will become a "Recommendation",
>similar to PNG... an actual de-jure standard is a few steps beyond that,
>and becoming a de-facto standard is a different task entirely.
>
>But you're right, although 2D vector graphics are sometimes referred to as
>"a degenerate case of 3D graphics", SVG and VRML are very different file
>formats, with different potential uses. Enjoy your beer there for me,
>okay...?  ;-)
>
>jd

Thanks for the reply but my beer is being kept at the boiling point because
of the 138 degree oven beside keeping me all toasty and light
headed.  Every time I try to work on a graphic it overheats and
hangs.  Life is beautiful.
Peter Kaulback