[thelist] Bulk Email?

Sabrina Dent, Apperception sabrina.dent at appercept.co.uk
Sun Jun 17 13:06:42 CDT 2001

Ahoy, the List...

I have a rather large (for me) website about to go live on 1 July.  Its an
online community for women (yes, another one) and it's based around writing;
authors are invited to upload Poetry, Fiction, Non-Fiction and Erotica in a
range of categories, with the content focus on women.  There are also
boards, postcards, shopping, etc.

Due to the erotica, this site has been (under protest) classified as Adult.
I've now entered a whole new world where I'm utterly lost.  I was planning
to send out a targeted bulk emailing via a bulk email list vendor, but this
is proving problematic because the content is "adult." My only option seems
to be these hideous porn mail lists. This *isn't* porn, and I don't want to
mail out to a bunch of guys.  I want to reach women and authors of all types
of either gender. Everyone is welcome, but again, the focus is on women.

Does anyone know of a bulk email list that offers targeting and would take
ads for a site of this type?  Or appropriate email newsletters where I could
advertise? Or have any other ideas?

I feel like my child has just been called ugly and rejected from my
preferred kindergarten.

Cheers,
Bri

<tip type="Documenting" author="DarlingBri">
When you are working on a website, be sure to document things that you - or
your digital heirs - will need to know later, even if they seem obvious now.
Aside from the normal comments you are *undoubtedly* using *faithfully* in
your code, be sure to send a .txt file to the server as part of the site.
Document, for example, the font information for the buttons, the colour
palette, and other details like that.
</tip>
Sabrina Dent
Director of Online Services