[thelist] Passing URL Value

Richard Bennett mail at richardinfo.com
Wed Jun 20 16:16:16 CDT 2001

Client-side javascript will do this too, something like this:

Sending page:

<script language="JavaScript"><!--
    var originalURL = document.referrer||'Referrer unknown'

function goTo(url){
    location.href = url+'?'+ escape(originalURL);
}
//--></script>
onclick="goTo('http://www.cnn.com');return false">go</a>

Receiving page:

<script language="JavaScript"><!--
    var originalURL = unescape(location.search.substring(1));
    alert(originalURL );
//--></script>

This should also work if javascript is not enabled, or the referrer value is
not available (if you opened the page from a bookmark)
I didn't test it so there might be some typos in it somewhere.

Cheers,
Richard Bennett

mail at richardinfo.com
www.richardinfo.com