[thelist] MS SQL Image Datatype and CF

aardvark roselli at earthlink.net
Fri Jun 22 09:52:43 CDT 2001

> From: "Chris Johnston" <chris at completeimaging.com>
>
> Does anyone have any experience using the Image datatype in MS SQL
> Server for storing files? I am putting together an application that
> allows clients to upload data files to a website. For security reasons
> I would like to be able to place these files into the MS SQL database
> that we are using (the database being encrypted).

quick question, are you *sure* you want to store *files* in the db
and not pointers to files?

since it's MS SQL, i'll assume you'll be running from an NT (or 2k)
server... NT is built around the file system, so you'd most definitely
have better results serving files from the file system than from a
database...

and then there's all the issues with storing a file in a db and
accessing it... as far as i know, the iamge datatype is just a blob...